Welcome to Sai Immigration & Ielts Services

Talk to expert


Apply Now

Business Phone
Contact time

Mon-Sat: 10:00-18:00

July 30, 2018BY [email protected]

Types of Australia Student Visa

Australia Student Visa Sub Class according to new SSVF rules

The Department of Immigration Australia has overhauled Streamlined Visa Program (SVP) by Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF). The change came into effect from 1st July, 2016 onwards.

Now, under the new rules of SSVF, students from all over the world will be able to apply for the Australia student visa through the Australia Visa subclass, which is sub-class 500 (student). And, their parents can apply to take care of their under 18 children, under the sub-class 590. Now, all the seven previous evaluation level frameworks (Subclass 570 to Subclass 576) are merged into only two subclasses which are 500 and 590.

From now onwards, it is the education provider and country of citizenship that will be used as risk factors to determine the level of English language proficiency and financial capacity that the student needs to provide with their visa application.

Here are two types of Australia visa that you can apply for, being a student or under 18 student’s guardian.

Australia Student Visa – Subclass 500

This visa is for those students who wish to pursue their degree or diploma from a registered education institute in Australia. This visa allows you to:

  1. Study a full-time program in Australia
  2. Let your family member accompany you to Australia
  3. You and your family member are permitted for part-time work allowance
  4. Student can stay in Australia until the completion of course duration

What do you need for this visa?

  1. Confirmation of Enrolment (COE)
  2. Acceptable English language test score
  3. Documentary evidence of financial capacity
  4. Health insurance
  5. Appropriate welfare arrangements if you are less than 18 years of age.

Study Types under this Visa:

  1. English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS)
  2. School – primary or secondary
  3. Secondary school exchange program
  4. Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses –a registered VET course or a registered course for the award of an advanced diploma
  5. Higher education courses –a bachelor or associate degree, a graduate certificate or graduate diploma, a masters degree by coursework or a higher education diploma or advanced diploma
  6. Postgraduate Research degrees –a masters degree by research or a doctoral degree
  7. Non-award courses – non-award foundation studies courses or components of a course that do not lead to an award
  8. Students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Trade or the Department of Defence
  9. Package Course, if you want to study more than one course

Student Guardian Visa – Subclass 590

If you want to provide care to an international student who is going to study in Australia and is below 18 years of age, apply for this visa.

Requirements :

  1. Must be a parent or person who holds the custody of the student. For relatives, age criteria are 21 years or more and must be nominated in written by the parent or other custody holder.
  2. Cannot bring a family member of or above the age of 6 years
  3. Must be able to provide welfare, support and accommodation to the students.
  4. Must meet health and character requirements
  5. Have enough money to support yourself and the dependent
  6. Health insurance of you and dependent, if any
  7. Intention to stay in Australia temporarily

Reference: http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Stud